Home » Networking

Synology DS212J NAS Unboxing

27 November 2011 292 Comments

Synology is world renowned company and famous for making great NAS (Network Storage devices) products and they had sent me their latest NAS product called DS212J which is a 2 disk NAS device and was launched in Nov 2011 and I do the unboxing for the same and give you an overview of the device, this device is also going to be available in India.

This Synology diskstation DS212J apart from offering the typical NAS functions like central backup / storage offers advance media streaming via it’s DLNA / itunes server and its content can also be accessed on smartphones like Android or iPhone via there apps and you can also create your own personal cloud with the same.

Synology diskstation DS212J

Listed below is another video in which I show you how to install a Hard disk (HDD) and configure the Synology DS212J NAS.

I had also created a video that is listed below in which I show you the robust Download Manager that comes with this NAS which can help you in downloading files or torrents even when your PC is switched off.

If you are wondering why you need a NAS in a home environment read this article that I had written earlier.

Do remember to subscribe to my Youtube channel to be notified about my video updates tutorials and guides it’s free to subscribe!

Related Posts

292 Comments »

• ZombieKillzoneOps said:

i think you should get a mic. that you clip to youre shirt so you cant hear the cars outside anymore :D

• geekyranjit said:

@ZombieKillzoneOps: I am using a very good mic the problem is that the windows need to be sound proofed, I already have got them hopefully by next week they should be installed and that should reduce the background noise :)

• krishna1151 said:

good video waiting for some more videos from u and for this product

• 0to9000 said:

Thanks for the video. It’s a very nice looking piece of equipment, maybe I’ll get one when Harddrives are affordable again. I look forward to seeing more videos about it :)

• ZombieKillzoneOps said:

• krishna1151 said:

good video waiting for some more videos from u and for this product

• geekyranjit said:

@0to9000: Yep I agree, the unit looks very good and can be placed on the desk but the HDD pricing are crazy….. but I might need to buy one to test unit…… coz one of my internal HDD that I use for testing just broke recently!

• 0to9000 said:

• Ranjit Kumar said:
  • jin37uk said:

Thanks!

• jin37uk said:

Thanks!

• geekyranjit said:

@jin37uk: I dont know from where you go that SATA 3 drives do not work with this DS212J model I just checked Synology website for compatible HDD and found the Segate ST3000DM001 which is 3TB SATA 3 drive.

• jin37uk said:

I am interested in this model but I have read that it ‘does not support sata3′ – is this true? will a sata 3 hard drive not work at all in this? Or, will it work but at sata 2 speeds? (which is fine, as long as it works I’m happy)Thanks!

• 0to9000 said:

Thanks Ranjit. This would be great to reduce noise because you can store the NAS in another room and then use an SSD as the main drive. I really enjoy your videos ;)

• geekyranjit said:

@0to9000: This NAS is whisper silent hardly makes any noise, I just keep it 4 feet away from me and cannot hear anything from the same so if you are worried about noise do not worry this DS212J is one super silent NAS.

• 0to9000 said:

That’s cool. Thanks again for the video and thanks for replying :)

• 0to9000 said:

@geekyranjit That’s cool. Thanks again for the video and thanks for replying :)

• coldmixer said:

Thanks for these videos, Ranjit. Is the NAS device available in India? more specifically in bangalore? If so, whats the pricing?Also whats the torrent client that will run on the box? Can it support other external HDDs at the back? I see 2 USB ports at the back. Can I expand it that way also? Thanks. Please try and upload other videos on the NAS.:)

• coldmixer said:

Thanks for these videos, Ranjit. Is the NAS device available in India? more
    specifically in bangalore? If so, whats the pricing? Also whats the torrent
    client that will run on the box? Can it support other external HDDs at the
    back? I see 2 USB ports at the back. Can I expand it that way also? Thanks.
    Please try and upload other videos on the NAS. :)

• geekyranjit said:

@coldmixer: Yes the NAS is going to be available in India very soon I have asked Synology to send me the Indian pricing info once I get the same I will share it with you.Yes you can also add an external HDD via the USB port but the best way it to use the internal HDD, I will be making some more video about the various features of the NAS and yes the torrent client works beautifully I tested it with a few torrents and it fully saturated my 15 Mbps connection without any issues!

• coldmixer said:

• coldmixer said:

@geekyranjit Nice to hear. I’ll be adding 2 2tb drives into mine if i get it.. and my 4 mbps connection would do nicely.keep me updated . :)

• coldmixer said:

@geekyranjit Nice to hear. I’ll be adding 2 2tb drives into mine if i get
    it.. and my 4 mbps connection would do nicely. keep me updated . :)

• geekyranjit said:

@coldmixer: Just got info from Synology that this unit MRP price in India is Rs 18,500 inc of all taxes, no idea what might be the street price, do let me know if you cannot get it in local market I will try to get the local dealer details.

• Jeet Shah said:

Hi,I am using Synology NAS DS-211J long back and it is wonderful product. 212J is successor of DS-211J with better configuration. The best part of Synology is common DSM for all the models. I’ve also updated my box wiht latst DSM 3.2. Synology products are available in India since 3 years distributed by EBM or their dealers nation wide.
    URL:www.ebm.in email:info@ebm.in
    I’ve checked, DS-212J is readily available with them.

• Ranjit (author) said:

@Jeet Shah: I have always heard good things about Synology but this the first time personally I am using the same and I just started testing this DS212J unit a day ago and Indeed I am highly impressed by the same based on my initial testing.

Will be creating a few more videos on this Synology unit, I specially like the DSM interface and how easy it is to operate the unit with just a web browser even accessing the advance functions and installing additional modules is a snap.

Also I like the fact that it’s super silent in operations.

Cheers,
    Ranjit

• MohitBlog said:

Good Vid Ranjit !

• abhim7 said:

What is NAS ?

• Anshul Mittal said:

What is NAS ?

• Anshul Mittal said:

What is NAS ?

• Anshul Mittal said:

What is NAS ?

• geekyranjit said:

@abhim7: It’s Network attached storage……. if you have multiple computers / devices a NAS makes sense where centrally you can store all the data a NAS can also acts like a central media HUB service video / audio data to Media centric devices like PS3, search wikipedia for NAS for more info, earlier NAS were used only for office stuff, but now if you have multiple computing devices like tablets / smartphones computers Smart TV a media capable NAS makes a lot of sense, also for central backup.

@abhim7: It’s Network attached storage……. if you have multiple
    computers / devices a NAS makes sense where centrally you can store all the
    data a NAS can also acts like a central media HUB service video / audio
    data to Media centric devices like PS3, search wikipedia for NAS for more
    info, earlier NAS were used only for office stuff, but now if you have
    multiple computing devices like tablets / smartphones computers Smart TV a
    media capable NAS makes a lot of sense, also for central backup.

• jin37uk said:

Thanks!

• jin37uk said:

Hi, can you set the time for individual downloads? E.g, “download ubuntu torrent on tuesday at 10 o clock”…. but “download video on friday at 3 o clock”Thanks!

• jin37uk said:

Hi, can you set the time for individual downloads? E.g, “download ubuntu
    torrent on tuesday at 10 o clock”…. but “download video on friday at 3 o
    clock” Thanks!

• geekyranjit said:

@jin37uk: No I do not think so we have a functionality like that to start a particular download at a specified time, but we have and option called “Advance Schedule” in which you can specify the days and time when a download should not happen or slow down during particular time slots.

@jin37uk: No I do not think so we have a functionality like that to start a
    particular download at a specified time, but we have and option called
    “Advance Schedule” in which you can specify the days and time when a
    download should not happen or slow down during particular time slots.

• bharatkumargupta said:

hey ranjeet very useful device and even i m considering to pick one up!

• Bharat Kumar Gupta said:

hey ranjeet very useful device and even i m considering to pick one up!

• geekyranjit said:

@bharatkumargupta: Yep it’s a great product it just works!

• geekyranjit said:

@bharatkumargupta: Yep it’s a great product it just works!

• 0123hj0 said:

Dude what is the cost

• 0123hj0 said:

Dude what is the cost

• geekyranjit said:

@0123hj0: The Indian MRP cost is Rs 18,500 inc of all taxes.

• 0123hj0 said:

Dude what is the cost

• geekyranjit said:

@0123hj0: The Indian MRP cost is Rs 18,500 inc of all taxes.

• jaynajay11fly said:

I must say Ranjit that your installation method is very simple, yet very informative. You Rock Man!!! Keep up the good work…Thanks for your help.

@jaynajay11fly: Thanks!

@jaynajay11fly: Thanks!

• Raj said:

Hi Ranjit, can you please advise me on the kind of HD I should use? I would like to use this for Web/Media server.
    Thanks

• jaynajay11fly said:

• jaynajay11fly said:

@geekyranjit Hi Ranjit, can you please advise me on what kind of HD should I use for this? Just to let you know that I wan to use this as a Web/Media server. Thanks.

• geekyranjit said:

@jaynajay11fly: You need a 3.5″ normal internal HDD that we use in dekstop computers Synology supports most of the popular brands of HDD like Seagate, WD, Hitachi, Samsung etc just go to synology website and they have a list of all HDD that they have tested.

• jaynajay11fly said:

Hi Ranjit, I need your help. Can you please guide me on how to import my emails from Microsoft Outlook 2010 to MS Office Outlook Web Access. Just an FYI—I have taken care of the export process of the PST in outlook, but I am not able to figure out how to import the folder in Web Access. You can respond to my email or as you please. My email is rajlakhanpal@yahoo.com. I really appreciate your help.

• geekyranjit said:

@jaynajay11fly: Sorry I have not used MS outlook web access earlier just used the normal outloook when using with windows and to migrate data just used to move all the pst file to the new computer……. these days I have no ideas coz I no longer use a Windows machine for my main work.

• jaynajay11fly said:

So, today, I finally received my two Hitachi 3TB each drives. Do you think its a good idea to put 6tb and not make it RAID 1? or I can use both with RAOD 0….Thanks!

• geekyranjit said:

@jaynajay11fly: It’s up to you how much space you would like on your Synology NAS if you want all the 6 TB space then do not use SHR or RAID options, Yes this unit offers all the RAID options like RAID 0, RAID 1, even the default SHR is a RAID check synology website for all the options offered.

@jaynajay11fly: It’s up to you how much space you would like on your
    Synology NAS if you want all the 6 TB space then do not use SHR or RAID
    options, Yes this unit offers all the RAID options like RAID 0, RAID 1,
    even the default SHR is a RAID check synology website for all the options
    offered.

• gursikh133 said:

What Hard drives will you recommend me…….?

• geekyranjit said:

@gursikh133: Most of the popular Standard 3.5″ HDD upto 3T are compatible from HDD manufactures like Hitachi, Seagate, WD etc I am using the 7,200 rpm drives but even the 5,200 – 5,900 rpm drives should be good enough they are a little more power efficient, Synology has done extensive testing on a bunch of HDD which they recommend so check their website for the specific model numbers.

• gursikh133 said:

What Hard drives will you recommend me…….?

• jaynajay11fly said:

Hi Ranjit, can you please put a video on “how to use DS212J as an FTP” Thanks Much!

• gursikh133 said:

Thanks Ranjit JI

• Charanjit Singh said:

Thanks Ranjit JI

• Patil said:

Hi Ranjit,
    Thanks for the nice unboxing and installation video.
    1)I would like to know that can we extend the HDD capacity later, like install 1TB now and later install another 2TB (in JBOD setup).
    2)Is this NAS available in India (I’m from Bangalore)

• Ranjit (author) said:

@Patil: Yes you can extend the capacity later on by add 2nd HDD.

This NAS is available in India and distributed by EBM or their dealers nation wide.

URL: http://www.ebm.in email:info@ebm.in

• Patil said:

@Ranjit : Thanks for the info. Looking forward to buy DS212J

• Ranjit (author) said:

@Patil: Cool if you have problems getting or locating the unit do let me know I will forward your email directly to someone from Synology and they can help you if needed.

Cheers,
    Ranjit

• gursikh133 said:

• gursikh133 said:

@geekyranjit I think your answer is little confusing :) . It should be, “If you want to use 6TB space then do use SHR”.I bought DS212+ Synology Diskstation. I have 2TB and 3TB disks in it. I am using SHR for them. The reasons are.1. It optimizes performance.2. I would be able to use full 5 TB.3. In case 1 drive fails, my data in the failed drive will be preserved.4. Easier to expand your storage.Ranjit Please correct me If I am wrong.

• Charanjit Singh said:

@geekyranjit I think your answer is little confusing :) . It should be, “If
    you want to use 6TB space then do use SHR”.I bought DS212+ Synology
    Diskstation. I have 2TB and 3TB disks in it. I am using SHR for them. The
    reasons are. 1. It optimizes performance. 2. I would be able to use full 5
    TB. 3. In case 1 drive fails, my data in the failed drive will be
    preserved. 4. Easier to expand your storage. Ranjit Please correct me If I
    am wrong.

• geekyranjit said:

@gursikh133: No with SHR you will not get the full disk space from both your drives for your example 5 TB coz SHR is kind of a redundant backup so if one of your disk will fail you will still have all the data, so with SHR approx you will get between 2-3 TB you need to check synology for exact space you will get.With JBOD option or independent volumes you will get all the disk space available but no data protection coz if one of the disk fails all the data on that drive is gone.

@gursikh133: No with SHR you will not get the full disk space from both
    your drives for your example 5 TB coz SHR is kind of a redundant backup so
    if one of your disk will fail you will still have all the data, so with SHR
    approx you will get between 2-3 TB you need to check synology for exact
    space you will get. With JBOD option or independent volumes you will get
    all the disk space available but no data protection coz if one of the disk
    fails all the data on that drive is gone.

• medunkt said:

Great video Ranjit. I’m persuaded to get one of these (my first NAS ever). Cheers

• chichudox said:

nice video geekyranjit….the synology DS211J….can do the same?????

• LimpMan1 said:

can you do full tutor for noob like me…in your next video.like how can i access file from any where in the world.thanks

• Limp Man said:

can you do full tutor for noob like me…in your next video.like how can i
    access file from any where in the world.thanks

• geekyranjit said:

@manham2011: If you start believing what all your read in forums then you will not be able to buy any product, the thumbnail issue is that when you enable the Photo Station feature it indexes and creates thumbnails of your photos yes it can take time I say about 1 day for about 1,500 photos but even while it does it does not hamper the performance of the unit in any way it can fully function as a NAS…. see my full review its probably one of the best NAS in the market.

• manham2011 said:

Hi Ranjit, great vid. I am thinking of getting this but have read various threads on the DS212J having problems creating thumbnails. Do you know anything about this or come across this problem? Thanks for your help.

• Manzoor Ghafoor said:

• Manzoor Ghafoor said:

Hi Ranjit, great vid. I am thinking of getting this but have read various
    threads on the DS212J having problems creating thumbnails. Do you know
    anything about this or come across this problem? Thanks for your help.

• Halim halim said:

Great Video, that´s it. I´m gettin me this unit!!!

• Halimsworld said:

Great Video, that´s it. I´m gettin me this unit!!!

• Halim halim said:

Great Video, that´s it. I´m gettin me this unit!!!

• Muzamil Hanafiah said:

@geekyranjit @manham2011 with regards to thumbnails issue, it is not a major issue now with DSM3.2 as you can postpone the indexing process to later time.. also you can avoid the NAS to process the thumbnails by uploading via DS tool instead of copy/paste direct to NAS.. hope this is helpful.. i’m using DS211j and I’m loving it.. considering to get a more powerful/more bays Synology NAS

• muzamil2811 said:

• Muzamil Hanafiah said:

• rodrigoelp said:

I must say, the video was great, although I had to pay extra attention because of your accent. I kind suggestion would be to talk a bit slower.

• bstolia said:

Isn’t Rs.18,500/- a bit steep for a NAS without even a low capacity HDD?

• geekyranjit said:

@bstolia: All dedicated NAS a bit expensive…. I agree the Indian pricing is a bit high… but I have used a couple of NAS boxes from other companies and the S/W & hardware of this Synology NAS is top-notch and trouble free….. it’s a premium product.

• bstolia said:

For you, its a Premium product…

To each his own. Peace Out.

• bstolia said:

For you, its a Premium product…

To each his own. Peace Out.

• geekyranjit said:

@bstolia: I have used various types of NAS very cheap ones too that cost 7K with a drive included to even more expensive than this Synology & when your NAS starts giving problems or suddenly starts to not show up your network or just plainly refuses to give access to a folder on the network then you will regret going with the cheaper option…. and the amount of time you would waste to troubleshoot the same and get your data back. A NAS should offer seamless experience & Synology does that.

• bstolia said:

Isn’t Rs.18,500/- a bit steep for a NAS without even a low capacity HDD?

• bstolia said:

• bstolia said:

@geekyranjit For you, its a Premium product… but sorry to say, to me it seems to be an Expensive(overpriced) piece of Hardware… not everything priced high needs be a “Premium Product”. Agreed the software is great. Not that I can or cannot afford it, but its definitely a bit steep.To each his own. Peace Out.

• cruiser277777 said:

is this unit loud? i need something very quiet, thanks

• geekyranjit said:

@cruiser277777: Nope pretty quite…… about 18db of noise I keep it about 5 feet from where I work and I hardly hear anything…… my PC fans which are the silent Antec are more noisy compared to the Synology unit.

• alexabeledo said:

Thanks for the review. Very useful :)

• alexabeledo said:

Thanks for the review. Very useful :)

• rombout73 said:

Very informative :) Thank you for posting it! :)

• alinthebest said:

Thank you for the video, sir.
    I might just pull the trigger. :)

• alinthebest said:

Thank you for the video, sir.I might just pull the trigger. :)

• Powr Liftr said:

3:39 lol

• Lass3DK said:

• Lass3DK said:

3:39 lol

• Lasse Nygaard said:

3:39 lol

• Lass3DK said:

• Chukilaje said:

• Chukilaje said:

• geekyranjit said:

@Chukilaje: Yes the DS212 is the bigger brother version of this and comes with a little better processor and USB 3.0 again if you plan to transfer a lot of files using USB 3.0 port then go ahead and purchase the same….. personally till date I have never used the USB port on this NAS…… any version you buy make sure your router supports a gigabit ethernet connection to the get best results.

• Chukilaje said:

@Ranjit, My question is, I’m researching to buy a Nas and I think synology is the best option.Now my doubts are, should I get the DS212J or I would get better performance for 100 bucks more with the DS212 (black) I understand that it comes with USB 3.0. Would be only better to transfer files more quicky when I do have to download from my pc or external usb drive information, like from a camcorder that HD videos are really heavy? Thanks great reviews.

• Pranav Amrute said:

• geekyranjit said:

@chempranav: Yes it work with DLNA enabled clients like PS3….. I personally did not have Xbox360 so could not test with the same but tested it with PS3, WDTV etc and it works like a charm….. the DLNA server on this NAS is a certified hence should work with all DLNA compatible devices.

• chempranav said:

is it (NAS) compatible with xbox 360 or PS3? can we stream media on TV via these gaming consoles if the data is stored in synology NAS? Thank you

• Pranav Amrute said:

• fs1ification said:

Without internal HD can you use a separate HDD for storage, ie WD My Book attached to the desk top computer??

• fs1ification said:

Does the unit come with DLNA software to find the media remotely?, Does it support streaming of .mkv HD video??

• fs1ification said:

Does the unit come with DLNA software to find the media remotely?, Does it
    support streaming of .mkv HD video??

• fs1ification said:

• fs1ification said:

• geekyranjit said:

@fs1ification: DLNA server is built into the NAS, I have talked about it in the full review…. do note it’s not a transcoder that will convert the files automatically in different formats but it can serve all media related files to DLNA clients like WDTV, PS3 etc even .mkv files etc work it will depend upon your DLNA client what files it can play…… but this server DS212J can server all media files via DLNA.

• coedwigoedd said:

Thanks for the videos – they are most useful and give me an excellent feel for what I am thinking of buying, John M.

• Patil said:

Can any one tell me where can I get this in Bangalore. I tried to find in SP road and few other shops but not able to find Synology products.
    If its not available here then last option is to contact EBM.

• roscamabbing said:

Thank you for this! I just got my NAS today and your instructions were very useful, because the crazy thing didn’t come with a manual!

• linnyunt said:

Works with Xbox 360 for WMV, DIVX/XVID and stereo MP4 videos. But it won’t play file types that are unsupported by the Xbox like MKV and MP4 with AC3 audio.

• geekyranjit said:

Yeah this NAS does not transcode the files to different format on the fly, its just serves them as it is to the media extender DLNA compatible devices like WDTV / Xbox360 etc its upto the player if it can play that format.

• linnyunt said:

• puk3rz said:

FYI – if you use Chrome, there is now a very useful addon in the web store that allows you to download files, torrents and youtube videos directly via Chrome to the NAS..

• puk3rz said:

• robchalmers said:

Thanks

-rob

• robchalmers said:

Thanks for the nicely-done review. I’ve had a QNAP TS-212 running for several weeks, configured with a single HDD. Now I’m about to add a 2nd identical drive. I wish for the two drives to exist as separate volumes. Do you know whether there’s any danger in simply installing the second drive? I’m worried that when I reboot the NAS, the software/firmware will detect the changed hardware configuration and proceed to init both drives…Thanks-rob

• Rob Chalmers said:

Thanks for the nicely-done review. I’ve had a QNAP TS-212 running for
    several weeks, configured with a single HDD. Now I’m about to add a 2nd
    identical drive. I wish for the two drives to exist as separate volumes. Do
    you know whether there’s any danger in simply installing the second drive?
    I’m worried that when I reboot the NAS, the software/firmware will detect
    the changed hardware configuration and proceed to init both drives…
    Thanks -rob

• geekyranjit said:

I am sorry but I haven’t used a QNAP NAS so have no idea about the OS it uses, In synology if you used SHR you can extend the volume I guess it would be best to ask this question in the QNAP user forums.

I am sorry but I haven’t used a QNAP NAS so have no idea about the OS it
    uses, In synology if you used SHR you can extend the volume I guess it
    would be best to ask this question in the QNAP user forums.

• Sam24o24 said:

@Ranjit, Another helpful video.. One question being that you can download data directly from the web does the DS212 come with installed security software?

• geekyranjit said:

Yes the Diskstation 4.0 the OS that runs on these Synology NAS has a Anti-virus feature and you can download data directly to the NAS.

• Sam24o24 said:

• shafishaheer212 said:

hi ranjit,i want to use this nas with my 2tb hard drive i want downloads from torrent and store all movies and games in nas it has ethernet should port connected to router or pc? and 2 usb ports for external hard drive to attach or transfer the data?

• shafishaheer212 said:

• geekyranjit said:

For best performance and to enabled all the features you need to install internal drives with the DS212J you can install 2 standard internal HDD max size of each drive 3 TB, the ethernet port is attached to your router not directly to your PC.

• Andrew Nguyen said:

@Ranjit, If i have the NAS at home, am i able to access the download manager remotely when im not home and download torrents?

• Andrew Nguyen said:

• R00TZSP said:

Hi Ranjit, I have the DS212J and a Asus RTN56U. The synology is going into the Asus via ethernet and the Asus is going into my modem. The problem I’m having is that the NAS only works when my Mac is connected to the ASUS wifi but doesn’t work when I’m on my router’s Wifi, but when it’s on the ASUS wifi, nothing else can get an internet connection ( on both 2.4 and 5ghz). Everything can only work when connected via my wifi modem meaning I can’t use the Asus anymore? Any help anybody?

• R00TZSP said:

Hi Ranjit, I have the DS212J and a Asus RTN56U. The synology is going into
    the Asus via ethernet and the Asus is going into my modem. The problem I’m
    having is that the NAS only works when my Mac is connected to the ASUS wifi
    but doesn’t work when I’m on my router’s Wifi, but when it’s on the ASUS
    wifi, nothing else can get an internet connection ( on both 2.4 and 5ghz).
    Everything can only work when connected via my wifi modem meaning I can’t
    use the Asus anymore? Any help anybody?

• EvilWizardMaltheore said:

Is it smart to buy this now or wait until the next generation is released? Any idea when we should expect a newer model?

• EvilWizardMaltheore said:

• geekyranjit said:

No idea about new version of this model, this DS212J model was launched about 8 months ago FYI.Even if they release a new 2 bay model I expect it would be around the end of the year.

• sparced said:

I’m switching from a iMac that’s always on to a MacBook soon. I need my iTunes folder on something so I can access it on my apple tv anytime.

• sparced said:

• exwhyz33 said:

how does synology compare with pogoplug devices?

• tfn105 said:

I don’t know where else to post this problem, but you seem clued up on the DS212J. I want to have all my music on the NAS, and use the iTunes Server to broadcast it to devices in my house. However, I also have an iPhone to sync. Do I need a copy of my music on one computer to achieve this? I had the thought of mapping Z: as a network share from NAS to my PC so that my iTunes on my PC automatically copies to the NAS, but how do I keep the NAS library index up to date? Thanks in advance for help!

• tfn105 said:

And if my suggestion is do-able, is there a way to automate a refresh of the NAS’s iTunes server library, to keep it up to date. Doing it manually (albeit periodically) does seem a bit onerous…

• tfn105 said:

• tfn105 said:

• simatbirch said:

Excellent tutorial

• simatbirch said:

Excellent tutorial

• THEG12EG said:

hi i have a dlink 320 I’m thinking about getting a Synology DS212j ..

• THEG12EG said:

hi i have a dlink 320 I’m thinking about getting a Synology DS212j ..my dlink is setup as has jbod… if i swap these drive in the the ds212j will it need to format the drives???

• geekyranjit said:

You cannot just swap your existing JBOD disk from another NAS to Synology NAS, Coz Synology will format those disk before you can use them.

You cannot just swap your existing JBOD disk from another NAS to Synology
    NAS, Coz Synology will format those disk before you can use them.

• Kaushik Chemburkar said:

Excellent tutorial, saved me a lot of trouble. Just got my NAS and was eager to get this process up and running asap.

• kaushiksays said:

• Kaushik Chemburkar said:

@2:12 I just setup my unit DS2212 with WD Red 3TB with belkin f1pi242egau and I’m getting transfer speeds of only 11MB/s. I did not get any prompt option to setup volumes, I was experimenting with the NAS while it was verifying something. Not sure where the problem might lie.

• kaushiksays said:

• geekyranjit said:

Kaushik I just googled the specs for your router f1pi242egau the ethernet ports on that are just 100 Mbps port you need a router that support gigabit ports for speeds more than 11-12 MB/sec.

Kaushik I just googled the specs for your router f1pi242egau the ethernet
    ports on that are just 100 Mbps port you need a router that support gigabit
    ports for speeds more than 11-12 MB/sec.

• kaushiksays said:

Ok. Makes sense coz my router is 4 years old, time to upgrade now. I’ve just started to understand networking terminology, never had to deal with it. Thanks again.

• Kaushik Chemburkar said:

• porky2017 said:

Hi ranji

can i use the Nas with 1 HDD,
    Thank you Ranji,keep the gr8 videos coming..

• porky2017 said:

Hi ranji I bought this nas the other day i have to buy a HDD, I am going to purchase 1 HDD at a timecan i use the Nas with 1 HDD,Thank you Ranji,keep the gr8 videos coming..

• paul sullivan said:

Hi ranji

can i use the Nas with 1 HDD,
    Thank you Ranji,keep the gr8 videos coming..

• Paul Sullivan said:

Hi ranji I bought this nas the other day i have to buy a HDD, I am going to
    purchase 1 HDD at a time can i use the Nas with 1 HDD, Thank you Ranji,keep
    the gr8 videos coming..

• geekyranjit said:

Yes it can work with just 1 HDD.

• korglegend said:

Thanks mate. Followed your guide and all working.

• tci25TV said:

Hi ranji. I bought this great NAS but I only had one HDD. i already transfer files to that HDD. So my question is: One I install the secound HDD, they files on the other HDD already install with stay there or the system will re-format the old HDD the is lready installed? Thank you for the great tutorial.

• geekyranjit said:

No you will not need to format you first HDD that you have installed on your NAS when you add the second HDD.

• tci25TV said:

Thank you for your reply. I have one more question. I installed the other HDD, the 2 green lights are on DISC 1 & DISC 2, however, now I only see only one drive and not the second one. I installed 2 3TB HDDs.. So where or what should I do to see the new HDD? Thank you again

• tci25TV said:

Thank you for your reply. I have one more question. I installed the other
    HDD, the 2 green lights are on DISC 1 & DISC 2, however, now I only see
    only one drive and not the second one. I installed 2 3TB HDDs.. So where or
    what should I do to see the new HDD? Thank you again

• aggro1011 said:

Thanks for the video Ranjit, very helpful. Just one question: can you paste the link to torrents as well? (i.e. not use the built-in search engine but other torrent search sites as well)

• aggro1011 said:

• fjdkfdfjdf33 said:

I am upgrading from a DS109, is there an easy way to move the disk over or do I need to keep both running and transfer the files over?

• geekyranjit said:

Yes it does format the disk when you install it on the NAS so you should not have any data on the disk that you plan to install on the NAS.

• Arkadiusz Szot said:

hello ranji, i want to buy ds212j but i have huge data/information on my hdd (about 600-700 gb) and when i first time install hdd on this synology i must format hdd ? I do not want to lose data. Plaese, help me :)

• Viklan Rathore said:

Hi Ranjith, Very informative video, thanks. Does the unit become heavy after you install 2 HDDs? I may need to take it with me to overseas, hence the question. Also, what is your opinion if you had to compare Synology with Time Capsule, purely from backup perspective (for mac and win). Thanks and looking forward to your response.

• Viklan Rathore said:

• geekyranjit said:

It is not that heavy, if you are just using a Mac and your only requirement is timemahcine a Time Capsule will do, but if you have multiple computers and mix environment then Synology NAS is the way to go, I have 3 mac and 1 windows PC and I sync and backup stuff to the Synology NAS for Mac backups I use time-machine and it works like a dream I have complete control how much space I allocate for the time-machine.

• Viklan Rathore said:

Thanks for the response.

• Viklan Rathore said:

Thanks for the response.

• coolguty said:

I love how you didn’t read the “read this first”, first.

• coolguty said:

I love how you didn’t read the “read this first”, first.

• SipkeZijlstra said:

Thanx, was very usefull

• SipkeZijlstra said:

Thanx, was very usefull

• SipkeZijlstra said:

Thanx, was very usefull

• meltinzone said:

Hey mate, great video. Can you tell me if there is a remote login directly in the download client? What about a scheduler?

• dashbyictfd said:

I am running win 7 64bit, I have 2*1TB HDD in the NAS, I have tried both connecting the NAS to the router and peer to peer with my desktop, I cannot see either drive although all the lights are flashing on the NAS. When I run the DSAssistant it does not find anything. I was hoping to run the updated software from Synology rather than installing the older releases. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• dashbyictfd said:

Great tutorial, thanks. The case on this NAS is a little flimsy, the screws in the back do not hold, did you have the same problem? I can still slide the two sides apart.

• meltinzone said:

• dashbyictfd said:

• dashbyictfd said:

• dashbyictfd said:

I have managed to install the software however when I run the data replicator 3 software it does not see the NAS, I have same workgroup and ip range so basic elements are setup however I can’t seem to get any further. Any suggestions? Thanks

• dashbyictfd said:

• car33949 said:

Hello Ranjit! Thanks for the great videos. I actually purchased the DS212j immediately after watching your video. But I have a quick question that no body seemed to answer on any forums that I posted on. I am currently living in a college dorm thus using their internet. I want to use the download station but want to annonymize the data im downloading so they do not know I am torrenting. I signed up for an openvpn account from a service but I cant seem to figure how2 implement it! Please help!

• geekyranjit said:

Sorry but I have no idea, coz never used the VPN service with the download manager on the Synology NAS best place to post would be the synology forums it does takes some time for ppl to answer but you should get the correct answer in few days if anyone has used it like that.

• car33949 said:

• car33949 said:

I have tried to post on the forums page several times getting absolutely no responses… This is the one thing keeping me from completely loving the DS212j. If I could just some how safely anonymize all my torrenting data, I would be set. Please let me know if you somehow figure out how to do so, I would greatly appreciate it!!!!

• car33949 said:

• Ade George said:

Hey Ranjith,

• Ade George said:

Hey Ranjith,

• tinozman said:

how do you surf internet directly from the NAS? I want to upload all my music to google play’s cloud from the NAS. There does’t seem to be a built in browser in the Diskstation

• tinozman said:

• Tony Benson said:

Hi Ranjith, are you using a UPS with your DS212j? what do you reccomend? Good tech lesson BTW

• geekyranjit said:

Yes I always use a UPS with all my computer related equipment and yes it is recommended to use a UPS with these NAS coz these are like Mini Servers.

• geekyranjit said:

Seriously trolling….. If not you are completely mistaken, A Surge protector only protects from Surges a UPS will do all that adding to that the most important thing is if the main power goes out it will continue to power your equipment so that you can safely shut it down.

• Tony Benson said:

• atifsuperboy said:

I heard that the a surge protector does the same thing as a ups.

• Ade George said:

Hello Ranjit, could you please answer my question? I really need help. This is the question below
    Hey Ranjith, I want to add another Hardrive to my Synology ds212j. I want to know if I have to do anything special since I’m adding to the 2 Terabytes I already have in the DS212j. Is it as simple as just following your video? Thanks

• Ade George said:

• ABHISHEK KR said:

I’m planning to purchase a personal storage device (mostly NAS), I need your help in the same.
    I’ve found some devices – Seagate GoFlex Modelor the Synology DS212J NAS which you reviewed.
    My requirements would be;
    1 TB Storage.
    2 bays (Optional, so that I can configure RAID in future).
    User management (my family can use this with different access permissions).
    Files available over the internet, so that I can access them when I’m not in home.
    Budget would be 10K for device.(15K with 1TB Storage).

• ABHISHEK KR said:

My requirements would be;
    1 TB Storage.
    2 bays (Optional, so that I can configure RAID in future).
    User management (my family can use this with different access permissions).
    Budget would be 10K for device.(15K with 1TB Storage).

• xisco2020 said:

Hi Ranjit, im using the NAS in a small office. i keep all the office stuff in it, POS information and so on. my question is do i need to always power on the pc i installed the synology utility software? do i need a specific powered ON pc to support it?

• xisco2020 said:

• geekyranjit said:

The NAS has nothing to do with your PC you can switch off the PC just when you switch on your PC it will reconnect to the NAS.

• zelli63 said:

hi Ranjit, nice video for this install, thanks. I was uncertain about the static IP and gateway. Where Do I obtain this info? off my router settings web page? What if I choose the other option…non-manual install? What will occur? Thanks

• zelli63 said:

• Tushar Arora said:

Any idea so as to where it is available in Delhi?

• geekyranjit said:

Check ebm.in they are national distributors for Synology products in India.

• Tushar Arora said:

Any idea so as to where it is available in Delhi?

• geekyranjit said:

Check ebm.in they are national distributors for Synology products in India.

• Ade George said:

• Ade George said:

• Ade George said:

Can you help me.out with my installation? I have posted several messages but no response

• Ade George said:

• Doodeloodeloo said:

Thanks for the video, very helpful.

• zencor said:

Thanks alot for all the Videos on the DS212J! I will now get one right after the new year, running 2x 3TB WD Red disk in raid 1…

What is you opinion on running a raid 1 setup for time machine backup and fileserver for homeuse? Over kill or just a careful setup?

• Doodeloodeloo said:

Thanks for the video, very helpful.

• zencor said:

• gtaking111 said:

DONT BUY WD RED! They have a high failure rate you would be better off getting a segate barracuda or a wd black!

• louisvl10 said:

Synology is the best IMO because they have a lot of options in the software, unlike other brands. WD, Lacie or Seagate aren’t specialized brands for NAS and tend to have less good software and fewer features.

• TalesOfWar said:

Really? This is the first I’ve heard of this. Got any links about this? (genuine question, I’m not being an asshole lol)

• gtaking111 said:

I cant post links but just google wd red high failure rate. I have been using seagate hard drives for the last 10 years all of them still work. Other western digital hard drives are fine my friend has a 12tb nas with green drives. Hitachi deskstar 7k3000 are also very reliable.

• TalesOfWar said:

Interesting. Seagates have been the worst for me (after Samsung, I’ve had a 100% failure rate for all the Samsung drives I’ve had). I’ve only ever had 1 WD drive die on my but then again it was 15 years old lol. Most of my Hitachi drives have died too. The Green Drives aren’t really made for NAS use. I did a bit of research and it seems it was the early batches of RED drives that had firmware issues, but the drives themselves were mostly fine. There was a similar issue with older green drives.

• christvbible said:

Smart packaging, very good features, looks promising. However. Beware. It is almost impossible to set up without having a degree in computing or at least 3 years networking experience. This product is for gurus only.

• Claus van Dijk said:

i want to use a NAS as ftp server so i can upload and download files when im in at other location. let me know is this possible trough a WAN address? so example the nas is installed in my home. and im in my office iand i want to use a ftp client to access it. so is this possible?

• BopNiblets said:

Does the RSS feature handle downloading to different folders for different TV shows (Similar to uTorrent or qBittorrent)?
    Such as from ShowRSS?
    Thanks!

• rcrholden said:

That’s really useful. I’m getting one tomorrow, having given up on the WD My Book Live. You also have the world’s greatest accent !!

• Carlos Delao said:

i see that you mentioned you stream your downloads to your tv…what tv are you using? will this work with apple tv 3…thank you

• soon658 said:

super helpful — thanks!

• dutynow13 said:

Hi, Ranjit, and thanks for the videos about the Synology DS212j. Very helpful. I got one a few days ago … .

Question: You seemingly create a static IP out of thin air by adding “00″ to the assigned address. Is it that simple? I mean, can I do that (on my Mac) and it will just be OK? Don’t need to contact my Internet provider or go through a more technical and involve process?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

• rkgsd said:

All drives fail eventually regardless of brand as you probably know. Whether it’s sooner rather than later I think is a roll of the dice.I just has a Western Digital 1.5tb Green start failing after 2 years. I was using it as a network storage drive connected to a router’s USB port and on all the time.It started giving “redundancy cyclic’ error messages when trying to copy large files. Luckily I was able to transfer most of the files off of it before it started dying completely.

• Ankur Verma said:

hey ranjit, hows you.

I had called the ebm guys, but I think the ebm is asking about 12 k + for DS112j.

• ranjgoth said:

Hi great video.
    I have installed one 2 TB hdd. And it works fine. But then I installed a second hdd on 1,5 TB the problem is that i creats a second volum but i cant see this volum in the file manager. Any ide what i may have done wrond? I used the guide. I can see the disk is fine and is working but i cant put any files on it.

• geekyranjit said:

As far as I recall the second HDD has to have the same size or larger than the first HDD, you cannot add a smaller second HDD for further support please contact synology.

• ranjgoth said:

Thanx for a fast replay. I have sent an email to the support now.

• Thomas Hadden said:

Hello, when you speak of Synology automatically using VPN and PPTP, does this mean that the internet connection is secure, meaning minimum risk from hackers ? Is this similar to the VPN tunnel?

• Manjunath S said:

Hi Ranjit, I got a ds213 recently, Its setup and everything works fine on lan, however I have trouble accessing that from internet, I tried all the ready settings from synology, the ez internet setup way. Nothing has worked yet, can you please help me to configure it. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

• geekyranjit said:

If you cannot access it remotely even after setting up with Ez Internet it’s most probably your router you have to open specific ports on them manually again again some routers are easy to work some give a tough time for support please contact Synology directly.

• Manjunath S said:

Thanks for the quick reply, I have created a ticket in synology, no one has responded, I even tried calling them, they told me they will call me back took my number, never got a call, if you have any other means of contacting them please let me know.

The router I have is TP link TL-WR1043ND, the same router you have reviewed in one of your videos. Its also listed in supported routers list on synology nas, while using ez internet,

• Manjunath S said:

Someone from synology did contact me. Suggested me to do the dmz. It didn’t work though. I replied the same to them but no reply from them after that. Also I contacted tp link, they say that nas is not supported. I asked them to help me to open router, they sent some steps which didn’t work. Please let me know his to go ahead with this.

• FLAKKU03 said:

I am wondering wheter you can schedule when your files download will start and set a time when it’s finished.

• Edward Finley said:

How can I get files OFF the Synology. I loaded a bunch of pics on it and I want to get them off and onto a usb/firewire drive. Can’t figure out an easy way to do this.

• Steve Wallace said:

Hi Ranjit,

Thank you very much for the informative video. I felt lost while trying to set up the DS212J on my own. Your video was extremely helpful and I set up everything without a problem. I will now explore your other videos.

• Jelle Ruben said:

Thanx for you information, I like you other video’s too.

• joe jackson said:

Great video, mate! Very helpful and simple to follow along.

• Sidharth Deshpande said:

can you upload a torrent file from another site and ask the download manager to download that torrent?

• Emmanuel Mwaka said:

Great tutorial Ranjit!

You mention that the video downloaded in this video is “streamed” to your other devices, did you actually mean stream och do you have to download/sync it to your other devices? If no, do you know of any Synology NAS that can stream audio/video? =) Thank you!

• TaranLeo80 said:

Thanks for the detailed video!

I have just bought a DS212j and unable to find it on my network. Few questions for you
    1. Does the indicators on DS212j network port blink when its connected to the router(mine are not blinking)
    2. I dont have any internal disks installed in DS212j. I am trying to access my external hard disk connected through USB port. Can this be reason that I am unable to access the diskstation on my network.

Please suggest.

• geekyranjit said:

You need to install at-least one internal HDD as the OS for the Synology NAS DSM is installed on the first internal HDD without that the NAS will not work, once you have even one internal HDD use the synology assistant and install DSM and do the initial setup of the NAS once the volumes and a shared drive is created then you can attach external disks.

• ozeeo said:

this should be abailable under control panel > vpn. then you set your connection. you can also setup you modem/switch to do this. i use to use DD WRT software on a linksys modem to do this, but this is a little harder to setup. hope this helps

• Topher Vanous said:

Hi Ranjit,
    Do you recommend installing two, 2TB HDD vs one, 4TB HDD? Thank you very much for the video.

• Nigel Dcruz said:

Hi Ranjit. I like your video as you seem to be well aware on NAS and Downloading issues. I recently bought an iMac and configured my torrent and setting my WD My Book Live which as a built-in NAS as my default folder for downloads. I am able to connect but once i shut-down my iMac and restart the iMac is not able to connect to the NAS and hence i’m getting a torrent error. I can reconnect same by going to settings and reconnect but otherwise it will not. Plz help to solve this issue

Purchase Tech Gadgets / Moblies / Books / Accessories online in India sitting from
the comfort of your home via Flipkart