Home » Hardware

Sandy bridge Intel Core i5 or i7 processor

20 May 2011 132 Comments

Recently I got a question from one of our readers regarding which processor to go with the Core i5 or i7 and I made a video explaining the main differences between these two processors.

Intel Core i5 vs i7

If you do not know about Sandy Bridge this is the latest second generation Core i processor from Intel they come in three models, the i3, i5 and the i7 both the i5 and i7 are quad core (4 core) processors while the i3 is a dual core processor, see my video below for more info.

Apart from the processor using a compatible chipset (Motherboard) is also very important and I discuss about the H67, P67 and the Z68 chipset for these new Core i processors again the H67 is the cheapest of the three and has on board graphics support (ideal for office use or casual everyday user) P67 is middle ground (ideal for gamers who would use a dedicated graphic card and would like to do over clocking) the Z68 chipset is the most expensive and combines the feature set of H67 and P67 chipsets.

Do remember to subscribe to my Youtube channel to be notified about my video updates tutorials and guides.

Related Posts

132 Comments »

• vinay24k said:

Nice video … keep them coming :)

• geekyranjit said:

@YUKAICHUNG1: Ivy bridge is not yet released it is expected to be released sometime end of this year or early 2012……… Yes it should be a bit faster with lower power consumption than the current generation of chips that is how the semi-conductor industry work they release faster efficient chips every other year but if you keep on waiting for future chips you wold not be able to buy a computer anytime as you would be always waiting for the next generation future chip.

• YUKAICHUNG1 said:

Ha….ok….thanks geekyranjit.

• eujeeves said:

I’m so glad I found this video. Thanks Ranjit!

• geekyranjit said:

@eujeeves: Thanks for liking it :)

• MPro35 said:

Really a great comparison as well as extra useful information, keep making videos like this they’re really quite helpful

@MPro35: thanks man

• cuzzinchris said:

Thanks. Very informative.

• gauravmerces2002 said:

thx for comparision…but i was looking for something else too in this video.*which one to choose between i5 and i7 for HIGH PERFORMANCE GAMING

• geekyranjit said:

@gauravmerces2002: For gaming I would suggest go with the i5 2005K processor with the P series motherboard so that you can overclock the processor in the future if needed………. also the money saved around 5K by opting for the i5 instead of i7 I suggest you put that into buying a higher end graphic card, for gaming the graphic card is much more important than the processor.

• geekyranjit said:

@geekyranjit Hey gaurav I made a typo in the last comment I meant u should go with the I5 2500K processor.

• gauravmerces2002 said:

@geekyranjitthx ranjit that solved my confusion… :-)

• Bey0ndKha0s1825 said:

when in doubt, ask an indian

• MrSomeloser said:

great vid

@MrSomeloser: Thanks!

• sleep410 said:

thanks for video

• varunmittapally said:

great review but not all i5 processors are quad core

• geekyranjit said:

@varunmittapally: Yep I know but I am talking about generic desktop processor (95 watts TDP) in this video not mobile processors or the low power i5 35watt TDP processors.

• hohoongsheng said:

they always said Indians are born to be good in computermy office IT dept are 70% Indians:D

• kevinspl2000 said:

@varunmittapally all i5 2nd generations have 4 cores

• kenqui232 said:

very imformative, just had to listen to understand past the heavy accent.

• varunmittapally said:

@kevinspl2000 mobile i5 2nd gen are not quad core

• kevinspl2000 said:

all i7 2nd generation are 4cores

• MBTsujimoto32 said:

Great video!I’m planning on going with the i5-2600k to build a gaming PC, as well as purchasing an external graphic card. With an external graphic card, does it make it a waste if I get the Z68? Should I just go with P67?

• geekyranjit said:

@MBTsujimoto32: For a gaming a good external graphic card is a must, you can certainly add the external graphic card on the Z68, I personally use a Z68 motherboard with a external graphic card again I suggest you go with the Z68 based motherboard if the price difference is not between P67 & Z68.With Z68 on a later stage you can add a small SSD and take advantage of intel SRT technology and that you speed up your IO operations about 2-4 times that is not possible with P67 boards.

• nitin said:

THANKS……

• Cloud said:

Thanks mate, nice vid, answered all my questions.

• randomnessMAX said:

I like this guy!!

• Oelov said:

i can’t hear what your saying…add subtitels next time

• noobatnothing said:

Thanks bro.

• the20hunk said:

how about i5-760 , is it ok for gaming , i want to build a budget gaming pc …

• the20hunk said:

@Oelov r u deaf ????

• geekyranjit said:

@the20hunk: It’s a decent processor but I am confused why do you want to go with this old model its the LGA 1156 socket unless you already have a 1156 based motherboard I would not recommend it. The current Sandy bridge based chips are based on 1155 socket.

• fivbag said:

volume too low

• zubairgu said:

core i5 2300 is better or core i7 860

• TheMichaels007 said:

• TheMichaels007 said:

@geekyranjit i im planning to build a budget gaming pc i planed to use a intelcorei5-2400 and nvidia gtx560ti im thinking of asus p8p67pro mothreboard do you think i should go for a z68 and by the way 8gb of ram and a 650w psu and plz suggest anything else thats possiply needed like more powerfuller processor and extra

• TheMichaels007 said:

• geekyranjit said:

@TheMichaels007: Go with a Z68 based chipset….. coz if required at a later stage you can add a small SSD and take advantage of intel SRT the 560ti is a good gaming combo and 650 watt psu should be good enough.

• GamesArt86 said:

Thanks for the Great reviewWhich motherboard? (Asus Sabertooth P67 or Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z) and CPU? (i5 or i7) you think better for:1- Eyefinity Gaming with Crossfire.2- 3D Max (80%modeling only), Photoshop, HD movie and Internet browsing, 4 of them running at the same time together.Thanks again.

• GamesArt86 said:

Thanks for the Great videoWhich motherboard? (Asus Sabertooth P67 ,Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z or Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3) and CPU? (i5 or i7) you think better for:1- Eyefinity Gaming with Crossfire.2- 3D Max (80%modeling only), Photoshop, HD movie and Internet browsing, 4 of them running at the same time together.Thanks again.

• ELBOMB4RO said:

your english is fucking awsome…

• syafiq202 said:

Hey Ranjit! Awesome videos you have here! I wanna built a gaming computer. Here are my specs : Gigabyte Z68 motherboard i5 2500k processor 2x4GB Ram1Tb hddGTX 560 superoverclocked gpuYou think it’s suitable to play new games like Battlefield 3 on Ultra without AA?Thanks!

• geekyranjit said:

@syafiq202: You config looks good but for BF3 to run on ultra at full HD 1920×1080 res you need nvidia 580 trust me BF3 even at high setting looks very good that the 560 should be able to handle, coz the price difference between the 560 and 580 is almost double.

• popatsharma said:

hey ranjit sorry for coming again i am saying that my cousin is also building a gaming pc but he needs everything including speakers.moniter,keyboard,mouse and he wanna include ati radeon gpu and amd cpu and also he wants to include a LCD moniter from 18.5-20 inch moniter can u sugest a pc for 30,000 rs? thanx in advance!!

• mileschizi said:

hey ranjit i have need to built a pc computer which i can use for my music studio but the only problem i don’t know which processor can use i5 or i7?, thank you

• geekyranjit said:

@mileschizi: As you are into media creation I would suggest i7 if you work a lot of multi-tracks it can be helpful.

• chucknorrisFJ said:

wich is better, hd 6870 or gtx560Ti?

• chucknorrisFJ said:

@geekyranjit wich is better, hd 6870 or gtx560Ti?

• thomaspvh said:

Or you could grab a 560 Ti 448 Cores.

• thomaspvh said:

@syafiq202 Or you could grab a 560 Ti 448 Cores.

• geekyranjit said:

@chucknorrisFJ: Both are almost on par…. It’s just at times many games say Nvidia put out faster and better drivers for their graphic card but as Syafiq202 has mentioned Nvidia has come up with a new variant of 560 with 448 cores if you can get that go for that it’s has a little more power.

• writetokinshuk said:

I don’t think i5 has 4 cores. i7 does have 4 cores.

• geekyranjit said:

@writetokinshuk: The desktop variants of i5 are 4-cores but many of the chips that go in laptops the i5 are dual core you even have dual core i7 chips for laptops, in this video I was mainly talking about desktop processors.

• oTERIMKC said:

could you suggest sites from where i can buy processors,mobos and other pc hardware in india?And yeah they should offer cash on delivery :D

• Zazquatch1 said:

Here we go again – Basically, basically,basically…basially…

• gdialpha said:

Actually i5 2500 and 2500k can both be overclocked except the 2500 is harder to overclocked than the 2500k

• geekyranjit said:

@gdialpha: Actually the normal i5 2500 has very limited over-clokcing abilities hence we say if you want to overclock go with the K version.

• gdialpha said:

@geekyranjit it also depends on how much you want to overclock coz like i use a i7 2600K 3.4 overclocked to 4.6ghz however my brother uses a i5 2500 3.3 overclocked to 3.8ghz as he only surfs the net and doesnt do that much gaming so a mild oveclock is good enough. it all boils down to your needs

• awesomegamingdude64 said:

i have an i3 and it runs fineim not going to shell out $300 on a i7

• RomeoJr1205 said:

great!! now i know the processor i buy recently for my pc is core i5 2500k is the best.,it can overclock…YESS! .im planning to upgrade soon to Z68 PRO motherboards.

• CloudieV said:

@awesomegamingdude64 im pretty sure you cant play bf3 on that…

• Prowerdnapro said:

my graphic card i have is; ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT what is a good processor to game well, withouit lag, and not to expansive?

• kshitijbansal18 said:

i want a new PC for gaming, now i am confused between a pentium D or i5 processor as smone telz me dat gaming requires a good graphic card n not a good processor. so WOT SHUD I DO??

• samljer said:

• samljer said:

@geekyranjit actually, K is tn IGP, nothing more. overclocking these models causes increased instability over non-K chips… use tomshardware or google. im so tired of you youtube clueless nubs.

• MrIwesseli said:

• MrIwesseli said:

@kshitijbansal18 processor is important too. If you want a good gaming system go with an i5 and a hd 6870 or higher =]

• optuke said:

hi!i have i7 2nd gen 2630 qm intel processor but its 2ghz, so is it ghz matters much for gaming? or i7 is enogh?

• WickedWizard95 said:

u will need a good cpu so u dont bottleneck youre gpu

• MrSharan1997 said:

What about the H61 chipset?

• arfatx said:

i dont care i just want to run super mario game.

• FrozenAnarchy said:

With a 2007 mid-range GPU like that you might as well go with a Core 2 Duo. Bring the GPU up and then you can start looking at Core i5…

• FrozenAnarchy said:

I have the same processor in my laptop. Having eight threads running at 2.0GHz (not even including the usual 600-700MHz Turbo Boost) is more than enough to handle nearly anything you throw at it, including the hardest punches high-graphics games can throw. GHz don’t mean as much as people would like to think; that laptop CPU you have is faster at 2.0GHz than my dad’s quad-core 2.8GHz AMD desktop CPU.

• FrozenAnarchy said:

You need a decent CPU. I’m not sure Pentium D will cut it, not even Halo will treat that one nicely. i5 all the way, or if you’re like me… go with the i7. The main thing is, while the GPU does more work than the CPU, a cheaper CPU can become consumed completely and have to juggle both the game and background processes, which can bottleneck GPU performance pretty badly. You really want something with at least four cores if you’re going to game on it.

• FrozenAnarchy said:

• Vo0oOo0oV said:

lol

• optuke said:

thnx
    !

• optuke said:

thnx
    !

• optuke said:

thnx!

• koolBrader said:

I’m really sorry but I can’t stop laughing at his accent coz it’s super hard for me to understand. I’m not racist I swear!! xD

• koolBrader said:

• TheAwwWtf said:

I got my I7 2600k… Im proud

• TheAwwWtf said:

I got my I7 2600k… Im proud

• pallusaimonish said:

hi sir i have a doubt..i am a 3d artist i use 3ds maxx and rendering a lot

• pallusaimonish said:

hi sir i have a doubt..i am a 3d artist i use 3ds maxx and rendering a lot

• pallusaimonish said:

hi sir i have a doubt..i am a 3d artist i use 3ds maxx and rendering a lotas you said i7 can go upto 8 cores which is better for rendering..should i prefer amd bulldozer for my new pc bcz it has 8 cores and less cost…or stick with i7 or i5..my budget is 12k for which i get 2500k(i can overclock)..please clarify my doubt sir

• moron726 said:

i gotta core i5 its dual core i love it and it works spectacular overclocked

• moron726 said:

i gotta core i5 its dual core i love it and it works spectacular overclocked

• Berreie1616 said:

Can this run battlefield ? (laptop)

• Berreie1616 said:

Can this run battlefield ? (laptop)

• Berreie1616 said:

Can this run battlefield ? (laptop)Processor Intel Core i5 Intern // RAM-geheugen 4 GB // storage 640 GB // videocard NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

• Jonathan Forlee said:

@geekyranjit i have a question, when u are using the one chipset, when the internal gfx can be utilized, how good is that internal gfx? can i game with that? highly doubt it.. please reply :)

• Jonathan Forlee said:

• Dmonsear said:

its hard to watch ur video cuz i cant undertsand you

• Dmonsear said:

its hard to watch ur video cuz i cant undertsand you

• Dmonsear said:

its hard to watch ur video cuz i cant undertsand you

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

Sir, Please help me. I am going to buy a Intel i5 processor for gaming. Which one I should buy on the market? I am posting this on 29-07-2012. I would be obliged to you,sir if you please tell this to me. If you can then tell me the whole assembling. THANK YOU.

• Priyansu Das said:

Also DDR3 1600 Mhz ram is only supported with the H68 chipset, that’s the most imp part i guess.

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

• geekyranjit said:

Yes a i5 is more than enough for the CPU you can go with the older intel SB 2400 if you do not plan to overclock but if you are going to do overclocking then 2500K, the most imp part is the graphic card for a gaming setup I suggest go with AMD Radeon 7770 or if u prefer nvidia then Geforce 560 is still a decent card, coz the new 6xx series are not readily available in India.If u have a higher budget then for graphic card I would suggest Nvidia 570 on AMD side Radeon 7870.

• Priyansu Das said:

• Priyansu18 said:

• Suraj ES said:

i5 on laptops have 2 and 4 cores..i5 on desktops have 4 cores..i7 on desktops have 4 and 6 cores too..CORE I3/5/7 have Hyperthreading by default..!!!!

• Suraj ES said:

• Suraj ES said:

• Destination33939382 said:

Sir, can you please tell me,
    If i do not overclock then why not ivy. Overclocking features.

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

Sir, can you please tell me,
    If i do not overclock then why not ivy. Overclocking features.

• geekyranjit said:

Yes go for the Ivybridge i5 even with the K variants of Ivybridge you can over-clock easily upto 4.5 Ghz. The advantage of Ivybridge is it consumes less power and heat compared to Sandybridge chips at stock speeds, also if you plan to use the integrated graphic IV is better.

• Destination33939382 said:

Sir, can you please tell me, If i do not overclock then why not ivy. Overclocking features.

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

Sir, can you please tell me,
    If i do not overclock then why not ivy. Overclocking features.

• Destination33939382 said:

Thank you, sir. Now can you tell me which mother board should I chose for i5 3570k from the market?

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

• Hashim C A said:

Proud to be an Indian , actually I was searching for motherboard, and I bought an htc explorer by watching your review

• blazeblaze666 said:

• Hashim C A said:

• kingrobhar said:

@geekyranjit: will i be able to overclock my i5 2500 (non K) by any means??

• kingrobhar said:

@geekyranjit: will i be able to overclock my i5 2500 (non K) by any means??

• Adil Qatine said:

i want to buy asus cm6330 i7 3770 2TB 8GB RAM
    gt630 2gb have p8h61MOTHERBOARD
    what YOUR opinion FOR GAMING AND EDITING VIDEO?

• Adil Qatine said:

i want to buy asus cm6330 i7 3770 2TB 8GB RAM
    gt630 2gb have p8h61MOTHERBOARD
    what YOUR opinion FOR GAMING AND EDITING VIDEO?

• CLDPhoenix said:

I want to buy a new PC and I need it for Photo editing and 3D graphics for graphic design, i want to buy a PC that has 8GB of RAM and is INTEL CORE i7 but i want to upgraded to 12 to 16 GB of RAM but I dont know if i would get the speed that I want and i dont want to spend extra money in RAM that the computer wont use. What do I have to know about the computer to know if it will run at the speed of 12 or 16 GB or RAM?
    I would apreciate your help, Thank You…

• CLDPhoenix said:

I would apreciate your help, Thank You…

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

sir, can you tell me amd or nvidia?

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

sir, can you tell me amd or nvidia?

• Tirtha Bodhak said:

sir, can you tell me amd or nvidia?

• qwertyuiop9060 said:

Hi. I want to upgrade my pc. I would most probably use it most for gaming, with occasional net surfing. My budget is 30,000. My computer is now running a 1.4Ghz Amd Sempron. I think that the motherboard only supports Amd. I will most probably upgrade my computer next year. I also need to buy a graphics card. I am hoping that the upgraded pc will be able to play games like assassins creed 3 smoothly. Can you tell me what products to buy. I am thinking 3rd gen i5 or i7. Please respond.

• Rajeev PG said:

Hi Ranjit, I am planning to purchase desktop pc for my ESX lab with minimum 10 vms live. I was thinking about i7 3770, can u please point out best processor and mother board ?

• MANOJ PARAB said:

Hey Ranjit, very nice video,i want to ask u that if I put external graphic card ,will my sytem able to take advantage of built in graphic on processor?and if i do not put graphic card then is it gonna add integrated graphic on mobo and cpu? thank you.

Purchase Tech Gadgets / Moblies / Books / Accessories online in India sitting from
the comfort of your home via Flipkart